The Board of the Northern Economic Leaders has resolved to establish a number of sub groups. The Small Business Sub Group is one of these. Its role, specific duties, composition and methods of operation are set out in this Charter.
Sub Group role
The overall role of the Small Business sub group is to assist the NEL Board to obtain insight into the relevant issues in the Northern Adelaide area to enable Small Business to be at the forefront in the economy of the region and its competitiveness.
- Champion Small Business in the Northern Adelaide region;
- Convene thinktanks and fore-sighting workshops to help Small Business become more sustainable and successful;
- Lobby State and Federal governments to support Small Business in the Northern Adelaide region;
- Encourage active participation by individual businesses and employers in initiatives and events in support of Small Business;
- Communicate from their industry to the NEL Board:
- issues and views of relevance to the sector
- local success stories which can be used to promote the region
- Communicate from the NEL Board:
- emerging opportunities, policy changes;
- significant events;
- funding opportunities;
- Enable linkages to facilitate networking and mentoring amongst small businesses and other employers;
- Provide input into addressing initiatives of Small Business in the region;
- Assist in staging seminars, events and briefings to facilitate the growth of Small Business in the region, and;
- Provide input / feedback, as considered necessary, in response to initiatives, processes and programs.
Sub Group Membership and Chairman
The Small Business Sub Group will have at least two NEL Board members, one of which will be elected as the Sub Group Chairman. The Sub Group will also comprise the NEL Executive Officer and invited industry representatives. These representatives will be fully paid up members of NEL Inc. The number of Sub Group members will total twelve (12).
A quorum of the Small Business Sub Group is seven (7) members.
Meetings will initially be monthly then proceeding to quarterly.
Minutes and Reporting
Minutes of each Small Business Sub Group Meeting will be recorded and circulated to the members attending for comment and approval before being presented to the NEL Board at the subsequent NEL Board meeting.
Action items from the Sub Group meetings will be forwarded to the NEL Board as required.
The NEL Board will provide support, as required, for meeting venues and any administrative assistance.
The Small Business Sub Group may not seek external advice or consulting assistance in undertaking its duties unless approved by the NEL Board.
This Charter will be reviewed by the NEL Board annually.